Loading video...

Video Failed to Load

Go Home

Mayor Katie Wilson's Office released a video statement on social media Thursday afternoon explaining the "real gaps" that have been uncovered in the city's communication strategies following the mass shooting at the Bite of Seattle on Sunday. "Good afternoon, Seattle, you deserve clarity about what's happened over these last...

18,191 views • 20 days ago •via X (Twitter)

0 Comments

No comments available

Comments from the original post will appear here

Related Videos

🚨#BreakingNews: Wilson’s Web of “Unawareness”: Mayor Contradicts Herself on Why Public Was Left in the Dark After Shooting “Miscommunication” and “I am not aware” says Seattle mayor when pressed again of public information delays of shooting. Wilson provides contradicting remarks to what she knew Sunday night. During Friday’s (July 31st) presser Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson when asked if she is telling the truth on whether her office told SPD to delay Sunday evening’s presser to wait for “dignitaries,” Wilson shared that she “learned at 9.40 p.m., five minutes before 9.45 p.m. [presser], that a press conference was being planned at Seattle Center” and that if she “had known that next to no information” other than her “own office's blog post” earlier that evening “had been shared with the public since the time of the incident at 6 p.m., I would have immediately said, yes, tell the press everything you know.” Then minutes later when responding to a reporter’s question on how can she not know that information about the shooting was not being communicated to the public on Sunday night, Mayor Wilson responded, “The reason why we put out a statement on our website around 8.45 p.m. is because at that point we did realize that nothing was getting out there.” Mayor Wilson appears to have contradicted herself on what she knew when on Sunday night about the lack of public information being shared on the Bite of Seattle shooting. Earlier she said to one reporter that she found out at 9:40 p.m. that “next to no information” was shared to the public about the shooting yet minutes later she admitted that her office posted at 8:45 p.m. about the shooting because “at that point we did realize that nothing was getting out there” and that the “the public was desperate for information.” Therefore, by no later than 8:45 p.m., Mayor Wilson was aware that little to no information was being shared to the public and that she was the arbiter of that information. Mayor Wilson also mentioned that at 9:40 p.m., five minutes before the scheduled 9:45 p.m. presser that “I personally at 9:40 p.m. was not aware that basic information such as the status of Seattle Center campus and information about potential suspects at large had not gotten out in any form.” This coupled with the fact that she said that also at 9:40 p.m., she was unaware of the 9:45 p.m. scheduled presser, may reasonably indicate that she needed more time to be brought up to speed on the situation. Yet, Mayor Wilson continues to deny she delayed the dissemination of information to the public regarding the shooting on Sunday night. The delay in the Sunday presser for “dignitaries” was said by a SPD spokesperson and also captured on video. Later in Friday’s presser Mayor Wilson was asked that during Monday’s presser how could she not know that the 19-year-old who died at Seattle Center was actually part of the shooting when the King County Prosecutor's Office court documents stated the 19-y/o’s involvement which were released shortly after the presser, inferring that the prosecutor’s office knew hours earlier before Monday’s presser. Mayor Wilson again responded, “I was not aware of that information at that time.” Also, during the presser Mayor Wilson said that the public information “should have been shared earlier. It could have been shared in a number of forms. Social media, the SPD blotter, our emergency alert system, potentially an off-site press conference.” During Monday’s presser mayor was again “unaware” of the City’s emergency alert system. 🟥Below is Q&A from Friday’s presser surrounding the Sunday Presser delay and delay of public information: 👉Reporter: You have command staff who was there. Many of them are here tonight. Again, we're hearing that your office told them to hold off immediate briefings. Are you telling the truth? when it comes to that night about your office telling them to hold off? Wilson: I learned at 9.40 p.m., five minutes before 9.45, that a press conference was being planned at Seattle Center. At that time, if I had known that next to no information, apart from my own office's blog post, had been shared with the public since the time of the incident at 6 p.m., I would have immediately said, yes, tell the press everything you know. Yeah, in that, absolutely no direction for my office not to share information. Nope. 👉Reporter: How did you not know? Did you not turn on the TV? Did you not look at half of your phone? Wilson: I was not watching the TV that evening. 👉Reporter: Did no one in your administration know that no information was going out to the public about a mass shooting? Wilson: “The reason why we put out a statement on our website around 8.45 p.m. is because at that point we did realize that nothing was getting out there, and we knew that the public was desperate for information. So we put out a statement with the best information we had at that time from SPD, which, as everyone knows, included some misinformation about the number of suspects who had been taken into custody. “Communications were flying around and I personally at 940 was not aware that basic information such as the status of Seattle Center campus and information about potential suspects at large had not gotten out in any form. “And that information should have been shared earlier. It could have been shared in a number of forms. Social media, the SPD blotter, our emergency alert system, potentially an off-site press conference.”

Lynnwood Times

41,913 views • 19 days ago

🚨Mayor Wilson double downs Tuesday and rejects claim her staff delayed Sunday briefing for ‘dignitaries’ yet falls flat on reasoning, still evades on who made the decision Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson on Tuesday again denied that anyone in her office blocked the Seattle Police Department from holding an immediate news conference Sunday night after the gang-related mass shooting at the Bite of Seattle festival. A reporter confronted Wilson with new information that between 7:45 and 8 p.m., alleging that someone from the mayor’s office told SPD leadership they could not proceed with a press conference that police wanted to hold right away, citing the arrival of “dignitaries.” “That is not my understanding, no,” Wilson said. Mayor Wilson told reporters Tuesday that there was extensive back-and-forth among her office, police and state and federal elected officials as they coordinated a response. Wilson said authorities were conducting an active search for suspects at Seattle Center and that she was told it would not be helpful for her or other elected officials to arrive at the scene during that time. “We went back and forth and eventually landed on an appropriate time to address the press and to share information,” she said. “That is my understanding.” Pressed further on whether her office issued any order that effectively prevented police from speaking sooner, Wilson referred reporters to her earlier answer. A second reporter shared with Mayor Wilson at the presser that "what makes it difficult to believe" her explanation on the delay is that SPD personnel have received extensive training and paid tens of thousands of dollars to consultants on crisis communication, to conducting pressers without her nor other "dignitaries" needed to be present. Wilson has and is facing repeated criticism about the delay of the presser to be used as a photo op for politicians instead of expediting the pubic safety information to residents. The delay in waiting for "dignitaries" statement from an SPD spokesperson was also captured by Jeremy Harris of KOMO News later Sunday night on video.

Lynnwood Times

23,564 views • 22 days ago

Let's hear what others are saying about Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week; Seattle Councilwoman Juarez: "I see a complete lack of leadership and for us, a 'No Confidence' in this administration...I'll say it again on the record; I don't think that this mayor has made the transition from activist, to campaign, to Mayor Wilson." Seattle Council President Hollingsworth: "I believe this decision to ask a police chief to resign, or to let him go, is irresponsible and a tad bit reckless, and put's us in a very difficult position as a city." Seattle Councilwoman Rivera: "It is unacceptable for this amount of time to occur without confirmation from her office, as to whether or not we are indeed going to have Chief Barnes as police chief, or what the plan is if he is not going to be." Seattle Councilman Saka: "I am personally disappointed and deeply concerned with the Mayor's decision to remove a police chief in this time." Seattle Councilman Kettle: "The people of Seattle deserve better, and they deserve reliable leadership, especially as we close out a busy summer of public events." Governor Ferguson: 'It wasn't me that delayed the public for 5 hours. No comment on the Mayor and the Chief, but I personally have a good relationship with my head of Washington State Patrol.' Seattle Police Officer's Guild: "Seattle deserves a mayor focused on preventing the next tragedy - not managing the next political crisis. Unfortunately, Mayor Katie has made it clear that public safety is not her administration's priority." Former State Representative Dawn mason: "How is she going to hire a new police chief under these circumstances. Who would want to work for the city?" By far, the biggest criticism of Mayor Wilson came from longtime Councilwoman Debora Juarez, which is why we have attached her interview with KOMO's Chris Daniels. We'd also like to recognize that Daniels is responsible for interviewing all of the people quoted above (except SPOG), in separate interviews which you can find at Chris Daniels | KOMO News 'Councilmember Juarez reacts to Mayor Katie Wilson asking Seattle Police Chief Shon Barnes to resign'

Future 42

24,180 views • 17 days ago